>But this topic is also covered in INSTALL, which is a must-read when
compiling GIMP (or any other program, for that matter).

I read the install but it does not cover how to fix GLIB/GTK conflicts nor
does it cover usage of pkg-config. I don't think it should cover those but
perhaps it could give some useful references. The document does say to look
at the ./configere --help, but I was unable to determine from that list
which one I needed to set and what I should set it to.

> s/GIMP/pkg-config/

What does that mean? It looks like a find/replace command in Vim, etc.