>The source code for a work means the preferred form of the
>work for making modifications to it.
>That has nothing to be with being a text file so my understanding
>is that images are also 'source code'.

I'm not so sure. The icons in GIMP may originate from a vector drawing
program. A 16x16 anti-aliased picture of a pencil is near impossible
to edit. The stock icons in GIMP are probably renditions of some
source that the artist hasn't published. If I were drawing these
icons, I'd use at least 2 layers, one for color and one for outline,
to compose them. I don't see multi-layer image files being included
anywhere. This sort of thing makes it difficult to apply the GPL to
image files, so the question still remains...