On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:45:08PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:08:57PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > any thoughts about using this software to help manage the berkeley
> > > gimp mail lists?
> >
> > We don't need any nazi software that forces people on this list to
> > behave in certain ways. You and anyone else subscribed here is free to
> > ignore any posts that he/she dislikes.
> >
> i dunno, i was trying to start a discussion and i thought that i asked
> nicely.

I can imagine such software being put to useful purposes. Think about
it; how many lists are you on where someone eventually grows weary of
a blatant top-poster and sends a flame, which goes out to everyone
else and, I suppose, gives each a smug little feeling - but what a
waste of time.

What if the software were used to:

 1. Reply to the poster with a link to a netiquette page;
 2. Prepend to the post a brief note saying that the poster has
    been warned about the evils of top-posting; and
 3. Just send the post on to the list.

Hardly nazi-ish; just doing automatically what we as good netizens now
do for ourselves...

This is presuming that the software does fairly reliably catch

Scott Swanson