On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 00:23 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I have refreshed the look of GIMP's mascot as an app icon and propose
> > this to be included upstream. The icon follows the Tango Style
> > Guidelines [1] (to a great extent) but is mostly based on the original
> > shape and colors originally crafted by Tuomas Kuosmanen [2].
>
> The problem with desktop files is that, as far as I know one can only
> specify a single application icon. So if we can agree that we want to
> use these icons, I would replace that the 48x48 icon in the gimp
> source tree with the 48x48 icon you proposed.

Hi Sven.

Installing the icons (named gimp.png and gimp.svg in this case) to
$prefix/share/hicolor/$size/apps/ and then putting Icon=gimp should make
gnome panel and nautilus do the right thing and look up the apropriate
size (at least it does on my 2.14). I think it even strips the .png
suffix and uses the SVG if provided in the correct index.theme.

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/same-desktop-file.png

I'm certainly not somebody should be giving out this sort of advice, but
apps should be doing the job of looking up the right size, you don't
need to specify multiple icons in a .desktop files AFAIK. The icon theme
spec has a bit on lookup:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/latest/ar01s05.html

> We should probably also replace the icons we use as window icons, but
> we would need them at 16, 32, 48 and 64 pixels then.

I will be happy to provide all the sizes necessary.

> Do we also want to replace the question / warning / error icons with
> the ones from http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=Tango-GIMP ? That
> would make sense if GTK+ would also adapt the Tango style for their
> icons.

I am doing my best at applying the Tango style guidelines on every icon
I lay my hands on. A side-goal of the project has been for
multi-platform applications to look close to native (in terms of icons)
on common desktops such as KDE, Windows XP, Mac OS X and GNOME. As is
the case with GIMP, gtk is a toolkit used for multi-platform apps, it
makes perfect sense for us to focus on applying the style on gtk icons.
Historically gnome icon theme icons have made its way into gtk+ and we
have already started on applying the style in gnome icon theme HEAD.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>