On Thursday 27 July 2006 15:42, William Skaggs wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>   Part of the reason you haven't seen much response is that I have
> been on vacation for the past three weeks -- Karine and I have done
> the bulk of the coding for the new rect=-select tool.  I'm not sure
> I have completely caught up with what you have done, but here are
> my thoughts at the moment on the aspect ratio question.
> I think that if there is already an existing rectangle in an image,
> then you can still do what you did previously:  enter a number for the
> width, a number for the height, and click the "fix aspect" checkbox.
I tried and IIRC (I'm on a different machine right now) this didn't work, you
had to drag the sides until you reached the apropiate aspect ratio as the
value isn't updated on entering/changing the size values manually.
> This will not work if there is no already-existing rectangle, but I
> don't see any great difficulty in making it work.  Would that be an
> adequate solution for you, or does your workflow require something
> different?
It's would probably allow for my workflow, but I think there needs to be some
basic change so that it's more straight forward and easier to understand. I
can understand that 1.5 is equal to an aspect of 3:2 and 0.6666 equates
roughly to 2:3 but please try to explain that to the average user. I'll be on
#gimp later (8/9pm local time in Germany) , my nick is charlyw...
Karl Günter