Tim Jedlicka wrote:
    you click inside
    an existing selection, then a new, modifiable rectangular selection is
    created, whose bounds are just large enough to completely enclose the
    previous selection.

Found it! Thanks, Tim. For some reason I missed that the other day or else I didn't realize it would crop to the current selection. Now I see that information appears in the pop-up tooltop for the menu entry.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: