On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 13:00 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:
> Hi - My name is Chris Mohler.  I'm not a hard-core programmer, but
> have some experience with C and Python.  I've recently set about to
> assembling a prepress environment with OSS tools.  Of course GIMP is a
> cornerstone of the project, so I'd like to become more involved with
> GIMP development.
> What release should I be checking out of CVS?  Or stated another way -
> on various bug entries, I see "please create a patch against current
> CVS".  Is current CVS gimp-2-2?

Just check out the HEAD branch. That is, do not specify any particular
branch. That will get you the development branch which is where gimp 2.3
releases are made from occasionally. We also maintain a stable branch,
labelled gimp-2-2. That's where stable gimp 2.2 releases are being made
from. If you want to get a patch into GIMP, it will almost always first
have to go into the HEAD branch.