(forwarding this accidentally mistargeted mail)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gowers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Dec 6, 2006 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Color selectors, which one do you use?
To: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 12/6/06, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

time for another little poll. GIMP has an interface for pluggable color
selector modules. Over the time we have collected quite a few of them.
In the 2.3 tree we have the following modules and builtin color
selectors:

Default color selector
CMYK color selector
Painter-style triangle color selector
Watercolor style color selector
Palette color selector

This is IMO too much choice for most users and I think it would help if
we would disable some of them. Expert users would still be able to
reenable them in the Module Manager. Perhaps we could even have a menu
somewhere in the Colors tab that allows to enable/disable color
selectors.

Now the question is, which color selectors do you actually use? I have
myself never found the Watercolor selector to be useful. But your
mileage might vary. Tell me about it.

Sven

I agree. The watercolor selector is less intuitive to me than the other
selectors. Except CMYK.
CMYK I find most unintuitive.
Slides is nice but the slowest. Triangle is pretty effective, slightly slow
- I'd like to see it make standard hue offsetting (90, 120, 180 degrees)
easier.
The default selector is both fast and intuitive; its only downfall is that
it doesn't present the HSV/RGB numbers.
The palette selector is fast, and it's useful for transferring colors
between palettes, in conjunction with the 'Edit active palette' option.

If I had to pick 3, I would choose default, palette, and slides. I use
slides the most, and appreciate the way the palette color selector allows
you to view and select from the current palette without the need for an
additional tab or dockable.