From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:22:20 +0100

   On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 06:53 -0500, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   >    From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   >    Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:53:02 +0100
   >
   >    can you explain to me why your patch introduces new functions in
   >    libgimpcolor? Couldn't you just use the existing gimp_rgb_to_hsl()
   >    and gimp_hsl_to_rgb()?
   >
   > I did it the way I did to use the same implementation as the existing
   > compose_hsv() function.  In addition, it isn't clear to me why there
   > should be gimp_rgb_to_hsv4 but not gimp_rgb_to_hsl4.

   gimp_rgb_to_hsv4() is there for historical reasons. If we could, we
   would probably remove it from the API. I don't think we want to
   introduce a HSL variant of it now.

I'll try to get to it tonight, although I think it would be useful to
have the floating point version also -- if someone's writing a plugin
that's doing multiple transformations, it keeps more precision to do
the math in floating point vs. with chars.  In this case, I suggest
that the other floating point variants should be marked deprecated.