Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> If the selection has many holes it's not sufficient to have a lower and
> upper bound for each pixel row. I need the selection exactly for my
> attempt at a new healing tool.

It is good to have another person around who is interested in working on a
healing tool for GIMP.

Before you start, are you aware that a healing tool was added to the current
development version of GIMP? It was created by Kevin Sookocheff as part of the
2006 Google Summer of Code program.

The healing tool has a couple of bugs filed against it. You may find your time
would be better spent fixing and polishing the existing healing tool instead
of starting a new one. On the other hand, if you have an idea for a different
or better approach to a healing tool that what is in the current development
release, I'm sure the GIMP developers would be interested to hear about your
ideas for a new version of a healing tool.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.