Hi,

there are two projects that might interest you:

- there is a project that "ported" the GTK+ backend to OS X, meaning there
is hope to run any GTK application (e.g. GIMP) on OS X without X11 soon. For
more information have a deeper look into the gtk devel mailinglist over at
gtk.org

- there is a project called seashore that build a new Application on OS X
native that is not GIMP but based on its technologies. You can find it at
http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

I for my person would appreciate results from the first project very much :)

Greetings, lexA