2007/8/1, peter sikking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > later planning to study and work in Interaction/Interface. I would
> > like to volunteer for the UI design of GIMP.
>
> I am afraid that I do not have positions open at the moment
> (we also talked about that before).

I'm new to free software development. I thought that anyone can do volunteer
work (not paid, done for fun and the progress of the project). Anyway, the
work on the UI looks promising, and there are many ways to contribute.

> Were can I upload a mock-up of UI changes?

That is a good one. A drop-box where people could
> contribute their ideas for GIMP, as long as it is a picture
> (jpeg, png, gif. no polemic, please).
>
> Sort of a visual brainstorming.
>
> Everybody could see it as a gallery, but again, no comments.
> My team would sort out the spam and the obnoxious.
>
> A sort of dialog could still ensue between contributors, as
> long as their pics make is past moderation (what was that
> with the obnoxious, again?)
>
> In my experience no idea is too wild to trigger a sound UI solution
> at the end.

I've some ideas of changes (edit: all of the minor changes are already
proposed in http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/labels/GIMP.html) and
one of 1 Dimension Menus which is a bit more matured (see attachment... I
will propose this in another topic). I have hope that if this new UI element
is developed it can make more simple and clean the "single window interface"
(reference of your website).

> Just keep the layer modes.
>
> hot topic, no? I want you to remember this:
>
> "everything you can do with layer modes, and even more powerful stuff,
> can be done in other other ways these days that are 10 times more
> intuitive"
>
> you will that see one day in GIMP, nut not layer modes.

If taking layer modes is suggested then an alternative should be
drafted/specified and discussed between users, developers and designers.

have you read this already?

> <http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/labels/GIMP.html>

I'm reading it now. This designs if implemented will make GIMP a more
professional app.