Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

> I've installed 2.4RC3 and found a strange logic of monitor profile use.
> I had my monitor profile assigned in RC2 and had no system-wide
> assigned  profile. So I deinstalled RC2, installed RC3 and found out
> GIMP was not using monitor profile despite the fact it remained assigned
> in the drop down list. The things changed when I had unchecked the
> checkbox "Try to use system color profile".
>
> I guess it is the wrong logic.  If the checkbox is checked, GIMP should
> search for system assigned profile and  if it exists, use it regardless
> the profile which has been selected in GIMP combobox. But if no system
> profile exists, GIMP should use its own selected profile. Even the
> checkbox label says "Try to use...", not "Use". This is logical and
> convenient.
> And if system profile is used, it should be shown somewhere in the color
> management dialog  by adding system profile to the combobox and
> selecting it.
>
> --
> With respect
> Alexander Rabtchevich

- Using the GIMP on Windows:

If the system-wide monitor profile is not specified, Windows will present
the path of "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm".
Therefore, the GIMP can't understand that the profile have not been
specified.

- Using the GIMP on other systems with X

Inside the GIMP, the color profiles are managed by the file paths. But the X
server provides the contents of the monitor profile.
Some fixes might be needed to list that profile in the combo box.