I use fading mostly after sharpening with refocus plug-in.  And when the
dialog initializes it has Replace mode set. But using fade operation
with replace mode has no effect! This has been confirmed by Guillermo
Espertino. So in order to obtain fading I have to change the mode to
Normal each time.

I guess it doesn't matter what mode has been used by the plug-in before.
It does matter what for the dialog was designed - it was designed for
fading. And in the current state it does not work for me.

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich