On 10/27/07, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> Currently we are drawing the rectangle using XOR. When we switch to
> Cairo this should probably change. But I am not entirely sure how to
> best draw a nice-looking outline that is visible on all images. Perhaps
> some of the artists out there could draw me some nice mockups?

How about darkening the outside-of-the-view area and then adding a
simple white border?
http://cr33dog.fedorapeople.org/misc/gimp/nav.png

My only concern is that very dark images may become black in the
outside view.  On the upside, I'm pretty sure the visible area will be
clearly defined on all image types - light images will benefit most
from the darkened transparency, and dark images will benefit most from
the white box.  Both ways, the rectangle is clearly visible.

Just a thought...

Chris