as a first exercise in Cairo drawing, I would like to start with
something very simple and port GimpScrolledPreview to Cairo. There's
really only one single thing here that we would want to use Cairo for
and that is drawing the outline in the navigation popup. Here's a
screenshot of what it currently looks like:

Note that we use the same popup in the bottom right corner of the image

Currently we are drawing the rectangle using XOR. When we switch to
Cairo this should probably change. But I am not entirely sure how to
best draw a nice-looking outline that is visible on all images. Perhaps
some of the artists out there could draw me some nice mockups?

I've picked this example because it is simple but still gets us directly
into the problem of replacing the current XOR drawing with something
nicer. Looking forward to your comments...