Michael Schumacher <schumaml <at> gmx.de> writes:

> My suggestion for GIMP 2.6 - and the only thing I feel able to
> contribute to - is the reorganization of the user directory.

Not sure about the standards on Linux, but in Windows, if we take a
hint from the likes of Adobe or Autodesk, user-modifiable program
resources (such as: brushes, maps, plugins, gradients, etc) are either
in C:\program files\appname\whatever or in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\application data\appname\whatever.

For photoshop, both are used - resources that come with the app are
in the program files folder, and user-saved settings are in the
application data folder.

Putting resources in the user's "my documents" folder is bad form -
this is a folder for *documents*, not resources.