Sorry, I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know how to do this myself but I'd
like to suggest a new feature for the fill tool.

How about an option to use the cursor position as a start point for tiling
fill-patterns rather than the top left corner of the layer? Perhaps this could
be greyed-out when fill mode is set to colours rather than patterns.

I still want the whole layer/selection filled, but wherever the cursor is when
I click it is where the top-left pixel of the filling pattern should be aligned
to.

I'd find this useful sometimes, would anyone else?