Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 2:22 PM, Weber, Dr. Martin (Allianz ASIC)
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I think the automatic white balance of many programs as well as of GIMP is
>> not always leading to optimal results. So I want to deleope a new better
>> algorithm for GIMP. To be able to I would like to get as many information as
>> possible about the commenly used ones. So if you know an automatic white
>> balance algorithm please tell me.
>>

> You could start out by studying the following paper, as well as it's
> references:
>
> http://www.ivl.disco.unimib.it/papers2003/WB%20Combining%20%20EI%206502-12.pdf
>
> /Øyvind K.

Nice article. The following Wikipedia pages does not describe so many
methods but are probably easier to start with:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_balance
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

The following article is even less technical but is also a nice read and
it explains the most common issues with automatic WB.

 http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

Anyways, a plug-in providing several WB methods would be cool but, in
most cases, I believe that it would be even better to extend the Color
Balance tool with the ability to manually pick the grey point in the
image. The easiest way to implement that feature could be to add a 'Set
White Point' button to the Color Picker tool.