I know the photoshop stuff will probably never make it into the gimp. and
open source works only if a developer chooses to work on something. I
realize developers like irc and mailing lists more as well. I like how the
ReactOS project handles this. They have forums on their site, and the
developers hang out in irc. Naturally a few of the developers read through
the forums and alert the developers in irc when they should read a forum
post.

I understand that the project is short on developers as well. Is there
anyone trying to attract more developers though? It could be a project goal
to get some more.