Hi,

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 03:32 +0000, William Skaggs wrote:
> Okay, I can see that a preview would go a long way toward
> making the dialog more usable.  I looked over the relevant code,
> though, and I'm not sure it would be very easy to set one
> up.  Previewing libart stroking wouldn't be very hard, because
> basically all you need is a set of tiles to do the stroking on.
> Previewing paint tool stroking would be more problematic:
> it requires either an attached drawable, or massive code
> changes.  So, as far as I can see, the only way to do it without
> massive rewriting would be to create a new temporary layer,
> attach it to the image, render the preview onto it, transfer
> the preview to the dialog, then remove the temporary layer.
> That wouldn't be hard to do, but it seems a bit, um, baroque.

It's not only baroque, it is definitely not a reasonable way to
implement this. The Stroke dialog must not alter the image structure.
Simply because there is no guarantee that the user (or some plug-in)
doesn't do anything else with the image while the dialog is opened.

I don't see though why it requires massive changes to implement a
preview of paint strokes. It should be possible to do this after some
refactoring of the code.