I checked in the procedure browser for gimp_patterns_get_list and found
it is not supposed to get any compulsory parameters. There is an
optional parameter, a regular expression string.

If the optional parameter is not provided, then no pattern is returned
in the array. I passed the empty string and I got the list of available
patterns.

I think this method is not properly documented in the procedure browser.

Andrei