Hello,

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 4:12 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just pulled a clean svn gimp and wanted to build with
> --prefix=/usr/local , I supplied this arguement to autogen.sh and it
> output both that prefix and --prefix=/opt/gimp , which I presume is the
> new default.

... No. Something is wrong. Gimp does not specify any such thing.
In fact, I always had the impression that for SVN versions, prefix
defaulted to /usr/local.
This may actually be a problem with your autotools.
I can verify that mine accept my chosen prefix (/usr) without saying
anything more, I'm running

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61
automake 1.10 or 1.7 (yes, both.. normally programs use 1.10, some need 1.7)

on an installation of Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

What versions are you running (automake --version  / autoconf
--version) on what distribution?

> I had the same behaviour from babl , although it did install where I
> requested
>
> bash-3.2#ls /usr/local/lib
> babl-0.0  libbabl-0.0.la  libbabl-0.0.so.0       pkgconfig
> fpc       libbabl-0.0.so  libbabl-0.0.so.0.23.0  X11
>

> However, now I try to build gegl it can't find babl:
>

> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> checking for BABL... configure: error: Package requirements (babl >=
> 0.0.22) were not met:
>
> No package 'babl' found
>

> Why can't it see a correctly installed babl? /usr/local/bin is in $PATH.

Does the binary directory have anything to do with it? After all, babl
installs no binaries, only libraries (ie /usr/local/lib/)

> BTW INSTALL says to run ./configure which does not exist, should this be
> corrected to say autogen.sh ?

configure exists for releases -- it's generated by autogen.sh. This is
normal for autotools-based software building.

Hope that helped,
David