On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 01:44 +0100, Joern P. Meier wrote:
> By the way, what kind of downscaling is used for the view zooming?

GEGL is doing that.

I have found that for scanned engravings, where I often scale down
to 11% or smaller, that GIMP 2.6 is not only much faster, but
usually has much better results.  Sometimes I scale down
part-way with Lancsoz and then the rest of the way with cubic,
though, to minimise artefacts.  Applying a convolution filter
(a blur, in this case) before scaling down, or using Value Propagate
with "more black" (for an engraving or woodcut) can also make a really
huge improvement sometimes.