On the main GIMP website they had a statement regarding your concerns :

"The terms of usage and rules about copying are clearly listed in the
GNU General Public License."

And here is the document : http://www.gimp.org/about/COPYING

..so good luck with the book - feel free to ask for here and there,
tips and tricks - I have experiance in DTP / Web design - where I use
GIMP + Inkscape for all my works now ( I know also very well
Photoshop, Photopaint because I've coming from $MS world ).

[ The only reason because I don't do myself a book about GIMP in
romanian language is the lack of time ]

Also, for tips / tricks ( Inkscape + GIMP ) in romanian language - you
can try http://nicubunu.ro/
or search in Google for 'Nicu Buculei gimp'.

Alte resurse utile ( probabil ;) ) pentru bibliografie :

probabil ar fi utile cateva randuri in carte despre licentele Creative
Commons, acum disponibile in Romania ( artistii vor avea nevoie de ele
) :

Mult succes !.