Let's hope it gets applied. I'll make a bug report and attach the patch to it.

My code uses something like this to send the data:

   def send(self, msg):
      l = len(msg)
      raw = 'G' + struct.pack('H%ds' % l, socket.htons(l), msg)

To receive the data, I use something like:
      raw = self.socket.recv(4)
      l = socket.ntohs(struct.unpack('H', raw[2:4])[0])
      raw = self.socket.recv(int(l))

Worked ok until now. Very similar with your code :)