On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 17:53 +0200, Christian wrote:

Looking at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=135649&action=view

my first feeling is that I use the triangle/circle a lot, to
choose complementary colours.  I'd actually like it if there
were a mark on opposite side of the circle to the apex, too.

Some colour selectors let you choose line/triangle/square/etc,
and that is also useful.

Even Itten at the Bauhaus used the wheel.  Let's keep it.
Or are you proposing to add a new mode, and keep the wheel?

But I think that's a separate issue from HSV vs. HSL.

The colours you mention that "can't be represented in hex"
also can't be represented in an 8-bit-per-channel image model.
Certainly there's merit in re-thinking the colour
choosers once the gimp core has more than 8-bit-per-channel colour.

Liam