OK, after some hard time, I manage to get GIMP built.

Typically, I follow the instruction in

Note that one has to install gtk2 using command below to avoid some weird
dependency problems

port install gtk2 +no_x11 +quartz +universal

However, another problem arises after the successful GIMP build.

When I launched GIMP, some error messages regarding pygtk shows

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/python-eval.py", line 19, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/python/gimpfu.py", line 76, in <module>
    import gimp
ImportError: could not import pygtk

(gimp-console-2.7:43828): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.7:
gimp_wire_read(): error

with other similar errors referring to

python-console.py, py-slice.py, palette-to-gradient.py, palette-sort.py,
palette-offset.py, foggify.py, colorxhtml.py

I found an old thread with similar problem at

which suggests setting the PYTHONPATH might fix the problem.

However, it did not work here.

Any suggessions?

Thanks in advance,