On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 01:29:59PM +0200, David Monniaux wrote:
> Hi all,
> Many people around here complain that Gimp leaves enormous swap files when
> crashing. It is especially a pain since they are in a "hidden"
> subdirectory.
> Would it be possible to have Gimp unlink() the files after opening them?
> I explain: if we use swap files as follow: open them at the beginning and
> never close them until the end of execution of Gimp, then if we unlink()
> them after opening them they will get erased when Gimp exits, whether it
> exists gracefully or not.
> I don't know how swapping works in Gimp, so feel free to point me out the
> obvious reason why it doesn't work. :-)

        If I recall correctly, this has been suggested a few times
and made it into released versions of gimp at least once, only to be removed
later for reasons I do not recall. Seems like some sort of portability issues
perhaps, but its been a long time. The easiest way to remember why it got
removed is probabaly to put it back in though and see who yells ;->