On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 01:37:27AM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 04:15:33PM -0700, A Guy Called Tyketto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >     The ftp daemon there, didn't bother me...
> bash$ ncftp ftp.gimp.org
> NcFTP 2.3.0 (December 5, 1995), by Mike Gleason, NCEMRSoft.
> gimp:/pub/gtk> get glib-1.2.6.gz
> "-d" ls flag is not implemented (NcFTP 2.x users should upgrade to 3.x).
> No such file.
> I can understand the ncftp's author's wish to get rid of old versions,
> but the timeout settings on gimp.org + my really bad telnet connection
> required 4 login-tries to the ftp server due to the 15 second login
> timeout.

I've changed the login timeout to 45 seconds, though the change won't
actually take place until the ftp servere gets restarted.

> In any case, it's not that large a problem for me (I rarely ftp to
> gimp.org), I just wonder why a commercial ftp server is used at all (esp.
> since it censors clients ;)

The reasons for using ncftpd are mainly performance, security, and
the fact it's extremely simple to administer.

Shawn T. Amundson                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/
EventLoop, Inc.                         http://www.snorfle.net/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking