On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 09:20:15PM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 08:27:12AM +0300, Mircea Damian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >
> > Suggestions? (I patched the source to use the above but I know this is not
> > right because it breaks 5.005_03 users)
>
> This is indeed the wrong fix, the perl headers are expected to have a
> define for that case.
>
> Since the devel-5.005_61 version of perl does indeed have that define, and
> that this has changed from the snapshot before, I guess the perl headers
> are not in sync with the binary.

The perl that I have installed(compiled by me) perl_eval_pv is defined in
embed.h under an #ifdef to eval_pv(there is also a comment about this
renaming:

#if !defined(PERL_CORE) && !defined(PERL_NOCOMPAT) && !defined(PERL_BINCOMPAT_5005)

/* Compatibility for various misnamed functions.  All functions
   in the API that begin with "perl_" (not "Perl_") take an explicit
   interpreter context pointer.
   The following are not like that, but since they had a "perl_"
   prefix in previous versions, we provide compatibility macros.
 */

For some reason I belive that one of those(PERL_CORE, PERL_NOCOMPAT,
PERL_BINCOMPAT_5005)
is defined so perl_eval_pv remains undefined. I'll try tonight to build
gimp CVS again and I'll make some debugging on this.

> Since 5.005_61 is broken with respect to Carp.pm (and Gimp uses that
> module), I'd suggest to use a stable version of perl (and yes, 5.005_50 to
> 5.005_59 worked fine...)

Just seen a few days ago 5.005_62 on CPAN. Does this version fixes the Carp.pm stuff?

--
Mircea Damian
E-mails: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]