>Just an idea: middle mouse-button is panning, why not Shift-middle
>button = Zoom Out and ctrl middle-button = zoom in. (Personally I'd
>prefer it the opposite: Shift: Zoom In, CTRL: Zoom out, but I cannot
>tell you why, it seems more logical for me...)
>Maybe using alt for allowing window resizing is a good idea.

Cool idea! Zoom in and out, with window resizeing or not, just by clicking
middle button with some keys! Really fast way to work. No more changing
tools. I vote YES. I knew that middle mouse could do more, you have
discovered it now. Pan and zoom all in one are perfect... damn, a 3D I know
does the same (plus rotate view, after all it is 3D), and I did not propose
it before.