Marc Lehmann writes:
 > However, if we solve this problem by *linking* libintl against libgimpui
 > we get another problem: linking against libintl automatically puts
 > libgimpui under the GPL.

That depends on exactly what source code you use to build libintl. The
"intl" directory from glibc is LGPL, but the same sources (more or
less) when distributed with gettext are GPL... I don't know if there
are build procedures for building just the libintl part distributed
with glibc, but hacking together a Makefile is pretty trivial. For
Win32, I build the intl DLL from the LGPL sources.