Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:18:37 +0100
   From: Aaron Optimizer Digulla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 08:09:37AM -0500, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

   >    Here is a patch for the print plugin. The patch fixes an anoyance
   >    with the print dialog: If you have lots of printers (we have about
   >    50 here), it takes *several minutes* to open. Fix: Just use lpstat
   >    -d -v (just list the names of the printers instead of checking if
   >    they are enabled; the information is discarded anyway). Later, when
   >    it becomes clear that we can use that info, we can reenable it
   >    again (including some kind of caching and a progress report which
   >    shows that Gimp is still doing something).

   Ok, then only the second word (for) seems to be stable (the third
   always seems to be the printer name). Any other systems around ?

On our specific systems, yes.  I don't trust that something else won't
be different.  If you can test on Linux with a wide variety of
different print systems (there are quite a few out there), different
versions of Solaris and AIX, and if there's a BSD system running a
SysV spooler, and demonstrate that it works on all of them, I will
accept the patch.  Otherwise, I won't accept this.

   > In the longer run, a more general solution to the printing problem is
   > needed.

   I agree. But the patch should be included nonetheless because it makes
   printing with Gimp possible :-)

It helps you, but at the risk of breaking other people and hence
regressing from 3.0.6 and 2.0 (== Gimp 1.0).  As the maintainer of the
plugin, I consider this patch too high risk to accept.  As I said,
though, if you can arrange for system testing and prove that it works
on all of them without being overly convoluted, I will consider
accepting it, but not otherwise.

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net