Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:45:59 +0100
   From: Marc Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 02:16:04PM -0500, Robert L Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   > When the Gimp is installed, the make install should run ldconfig (on
   > Elf-based systems, at any rate) so that ld.so picks up the new shared
   > libraries.

   I don't think so:

   1. libtool should make sure that the libraries are found anyway (unless
      moved). ld.so.cache is only that, a cache

Well, then gimp.m4 does the wrong thing, since after I install a new
version of the Gimp I can't use gimp.m4 within autoconf to test for
the presence of the Gimp.  It's considerably more than "just a cache";
it controls how runtime dynamic linking takes place.

   2. only root can run ldconfig (without errors, that is)

And make install normally installs software into areas that can only
be installed into by root.

   3. not all systems have ldconfig or the same concept of shared libraries
      as linux (elf or not...)

Like I said: this should be run as part of the installation procedure
"on Elf-based systems, at any rate".

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net