Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:44:49 +0100
   From: Marc Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 07:23:49AM -0500, Robert L Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

   > the presence of the Gimp.  It's considerably more than "just a cache";
   > it controls how runtime dynamic linking takes place.

   On _some_ systems, like linux. Many systems do not even have the notion of

That's true, but not particularly germane.  Where it does exist, it's
a standard part of installation:

       ldconfig should normally be run by the  super-user  as  it
       may  require  write permission on some root owned directo-
       ries and files.   It  is  normally  run  automatically  at
       bootup,  from  /etc/rc, or manually whenever new DLL's are

I interpret "manually" as "whatever does the installation", i. e. make

   It is an absolute must, however, that even normal users can install the gimp
   (remember the long thread on this subject?)

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that make install shouldn't attempt to
run ldconfig.  If users do their own installation and have to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH that's their lookout.  System installations should not
be subject to this.

   However, the solution is easy: somebody who wants it should write the
   necessary autoconf and makefile magic to detect wether ldconfig exists and
   (at installation time) wether it should be run (uid == 0 is a good hint).

The hard part is figuring out where ldconfig lives -- on my Linux box
it's in /sbin; it doubtless lives elsewhere on other platforms.  If
the makefile just contains

it will simply print out a warning message and continue if it doesn't
have permission.

Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Project lead for The Gimp Print --

--Eric Crampton