On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, "Dr. David Kirkby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    I've built, gimp-1.1.25 on my Sun SPARCstation 20, using the following
> pieces of software and hardware.
[...]
> Gimp then builds okay, but crashes on startup. Debugging under gdb-4.18,
> shows it seems to be looking for a source file gtkbindings.c which I see
> is included in the source for gtk-1.2.6. My installation has a binary
> distribution of gtk-1.2.8.

I compiled gimp 1.1.25 under Solaris 2.6 on a Ultra1 without any
problems (except for the Perl Makefile, but you solved that already).
It works fine for me, and I get no crashes or errors on startup.

Note that I downloaded and compiled glib-1.2.8 and gtk-1.2.8 from the
sources.  I have never used the pre-compiled versions from the
Sunfreeware site, so maybe you should consider compiling them yourself
and see if it makes a difference.

If you are interested, here are my installation instructions for
Solaris 2.6.  I install everything under /Local.  Feel free to choose
another prefix that suits your environment.  Also, the "make dvi"
steps are optional and require that you have teTeX or another TeX
package.  The lines that start with [su] mean that you should execute
these commands as root or as the user that owns the installation
directories (important if you are doing that over NFS).

* glib-1.2.8
  (sources: ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/)

  ./configure --prefix=/Local --with-threads=solaris
  make
  make check
  [su] make install
  make dvi
  [su] cp docs/*.dvi /Local/doc-dvi/

* gtk+-1.2.8
  (sources: ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/)

  ./configure --prefix=/Local
  make
  [su] make install
  make dvi
  [su] cp docs/*.dvi /Local/doc-dvi/

* PDL-2.003
  (sources: http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/KGB/)

  perl Makefile.PL
  make test
  [su] make install

  (note: many of the tests failed under Solaris, but it seems to work anyway)

* Parse-RecDescent-1.70
  (sources: http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/DCONWAY/)

  perl Makefile.PL
  make test
  [su] make install

* Gtk-Perl-0.6123
  (sources: http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/KJALB/)

  perl Makefile.PL
  make test
  [su] make install

* gimp-1.1.25
  (sources: ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/)

  ./configure --prefix=/Local
  make
  make
  [su] make install
  cd docs
  make dvi
  [su] cp *.dvi /Local/doc-dvi/
  cd ..

  (note: it is necessary to type "make" twice before "make install" because
  libgimpi.a is only built correctly on the second pass - see bug #24077)

Hope this helps...

-Raphael