P.S.:

On 2018-01-10 20:30, Jehan wrote:
Hi!

Thanks to everyone who participated on this discussion (here, and on
IRC as well).
I think the conclusion is that we don't like current on-canvas
dialogs, but popup dialogs were quite bad too. ;-)

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
And above all, it kinda sucks that we are having this conversation
right when 2.10 is looming upon us. Sorry about that.

On short term (2.10), it seems clear that the on-canvas dialogs will
likely stay as-is. Sorry Alexandre for any misunderstanding, my goal
was obviously not to make any change in 2.10 on how they work (I have
pushed for feature freeze for long enough myself as well! :p). My
question was more for mid or long term changes.
The only change I considered short term was maybe disabling some of
the on-canvas dialogs, especially because we (still to this day) have
some ugly crash with them and had some pretty serious usability bugs
too (but these are fixed in-between!).

As a statement, I want to say that I personally consider that many of
the discussion which happen on this list are not meant for short term
by nature (especially when sometimes we are discussing changing deeper
GUI logics).

On mid-term, I think the main issue that everybody is raising is
mostly that the on-canvas GUIs are not repositionnable. They should
be. Also I think they should be hidable and unhidable (you can
currently "hide" them by clicking the top-right cross but this
actually cancels any operation in progress, so that's not it). We need
to be able to hide/show the on-canvas dialog while still seeing a
preview (to see it fully with nothing in the way, but also to not
influence the color perception as Elle notes).

Also Alexandre notes:
Frankly, the rotation dialog before 2.9 was PITA. I'll speak for
myself, but every time I switched to that tool and clicked the
drawable, the first thing I did was moving the bloody dialog away so
that I could see my image.

Elle also says the same thing:
Removing the on-canvas color picker readout from the upper right corner requires clicking on a small icon in the upper right corner of the on-canvas GUI, and then you have to move the color picker readout to where you wanted in the first place, which for myself is usually *not* over the image

So that's definitely true that the popup dialogs are by default just
as annoying as the on-canvas ones since we popup them above the image!
If not mistaken, we now we have some positionning saving code which we
didn't have back in older versions and most popup dialogs' position in
current GIMP is currently remembered and reused. We just need to
remember the position of the popped-up tool dialogs as well and always
put it here when popping a new one up. So this is not a problem.

I just realized that this is already the case. As I said, we now remember a bunch of dialog position, and it seems that this includes these popup tool dialogs. Even accross sessions. :-)

So this worry of both Alexandre and Elle is no more (as well as my point (5) below). You won't have to move the dialog again every time you use a tool. It will just go to the last position you put it. Just make the test youself with master code. :-)

Jehan

Finally Akkana notes:
The Text tool dialog also differs from the other on-canvas dialogs
in not having detach/dismiss buttons.

And Elle:
The behavior isn't consistent. If you detach it from one image and then color pick another image without changing tools in the meantime, the readout is not attached to the second image's canvas. But if you do change tools and then go back and color-pick a second image, the readout *is* attached to the second image's canvas, from which it needs to be detached again.

Basically yes, I think the choice to have on-canvas or popup dialogs
should stick, which means we should definitely be able to re-attach
popped-up dialogs.

So I see a few TODOs:
(1) easily repositionnable on-canvas dialogs
(2) hidable/showable on-canvas dialogs
(3) same as on-canvas dialog can be detached, popup dialog should be
re-attachable
(4) choice of on-canvas or popup dialogs should stick
(5) popup dialogs position should be remembered

I guess that's the way to go for now which does not disrupt too much,
yet would already improve things quite a bit. We can still think of
better future and there were a bunch of ideas in the discussion which
are not included right now, but may be some day. :-)

Jehan

--
ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net