On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 03:33:34 +0100
Simon Budig <si...@budig.de> wrote:

> SPLASH IMAGES
>     GIMP  comes  with  a  default image for the splash screen but it
> allows system administrators and users to customize the splash screen
> by pro‐ viding  other  images.  The  image to be used with the splash
> screen is chosen as follows:
>
>     1.     GIMP tries to load a random splash  screen  from  the
> directory $HOME/.gimp-2.6/splashes.
>
>     2.     It then falls back to using
> $HOME/.gimp-2.6/gimp-splash.png.
>
>     3.     If  the  user  didn't install any custom splash images, a
> random image is picked from ${datarootdir}/gimp/2.0/splashes.
>
>     4.     As a last resort, GIMP uses the default splash image
> located  at ${datarootdir}/gimp/2.0/images/gimp-splash.png.

Thanks for that.

Just checked my OpenSUSE, Fedora and Ubuntu installations.

In each, there were no directories named;
$HOME/.gimp-2.6/splashes or
${datarootdir}/gimp/2.0/splashes

The splash was in ${datarootdir}/gimp/2.0/images/gimp-splash.png

I created a directory $HOME/.gimp-2.6/splashes and that was indeed
picked up first.

Owen