Hey Ronald
>From what I understand, slides are open to the same kind
of degradation that any plastic is, the same thing that we found out
that can happen to cds that we thought would live forever.
I have a whole family history's worth that I'm afraid to even begin to evaluate,
but have to begin eventually.
Basically that slide looks like it was next to a heat source or whatever for a
while at some time that basically burned the slide along the edge, but
overall it
looks pretty good. I think a lot of the older slides lose a lot of their info,
becoming overall very dark. I don't think there's any "underlying" information,
you're going to basically have to just artistically and painstakingly recreate
as close to the original as you can imagine.
Search on google for rubber stamp or clone tool in gimp, there are
tutorials on youtube.
Unless someone else knows a secret tool that can take out that gradient.