On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Jay Smith <j...@jaysmith.com> wrote:

> Is there something like that which can be used to remove a color "halo"
> that results from using a "green screen" approach to scanning?  (I would
> likely have to select different colors of "green screen" so that such
> colors are not included in the design of the postage stamp.
If your background is fairly even, and the colours are different in the
stamp, then I had written a script that might work (not having seen a
sample image):  http://gimpscripts.com/2011/10/transparent-background/

This will turn the background transparent by matching with the upper left
colour of the background, selecting with a tolerance expanding the
selection, and doing a colour to alpha as suggested by others.

Give the script a try, ir might have reasonable results.  It works well for
me on solid background colours.

-Rob A>