Hi Michael - I understand what you are saying but it only worked for me when I
did it this way - I tried the surgery on the original version that I downloaded
but couldnt get it to work.  Maybe there was something corrupt with that
version.....the second download seemed to work better.  But if you can get it
to work without all the "superfluos" steps then cool.  Having said that - I
still am grateful to Rene for answering my question and providing a detailed
solution when it was asked....

>On 22.01.2012 13:23, NoviceGimper wrote:
>> This post is for HP users who are struggling to get GIMP to install
>> correctly.  All credit for this goes to Rene from Sydney (on this forum) who
>> gave me step-by-step instructions on how to to get the installation problems
>> sorted out for HP computers.  (Eternal thanks to you!!!!)I am reposting the
>> instructions here for other HP users who are having the same installation
>> problems - maybe we could have these instructions in the FAQ of the GIMP
>> website. I dont know about anyone else but just renaming the file didnt work
>> for me - however this worked like a magic trick.  Again - this solution must
>> be credited to Rene.
>> Here Goes:
>> 1.  Deinstall GIMP 2.6 (If you tried to install and got the entry point
>> error)

>> 2.  Open computer/C-drive/Windows/System 32 and search for intl.dll
>> 3.  Rename the intl.dll file to intl.bak
>> 4.  Close the "System32" window

>These are the steps that get GIMP plug-ins running in this scenario.

>> 5.  Download and install GIMP 2.6 - when it has installed you might get the
>> same entry point error message again - exit through all the entry point
>> windows until it launches the "incomplete" programme (this means when the
>> programme can open a blank canvas, but cant do much else because of all the
>> missing .exe.

>Why download and install GIMP again?

>> 6.  Close GIMP

>That should be step 0.

>> 7.  Open computer/Local Disk C/Program Files (or whereever your pc saves
>> your programmes to)
>> 8.  Search for GIMP-2.0 and open.  Open bin. Search for intl.dll and copy
>> the file
>> 9.  Paste the "intl.dll" file into GIMP-2.0/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins and close
>> window.

>You won't need steps 2-4 and 10-11 then.

>But you'll have the same problem again if GIMP ships with a newer
>version of libintl.

>> intl.bak
>> 11. select and rename intl.bak into intl.dll.

>12. Ask HP when they will fix that from their side.

NoviceGimper (via gimpusers.com)