I suppose the reason I didn't go the preview route is that I'm a bit
annoyed that GIMP doesn't remember that I've changed that setting to 75
every single time I've made a JPG. Now that you suggest it, I could run a
test and see if GIMP's apparent 85 default really does/doesn't make a
significant difference in file size compared to the number I prefer. If the
two yield similar results, I can just accept the fact that GIMP won't adapt
to a user's work pattern (grrrr, don't like that idea) and let it save all
JPG files at 85.

Keith

(PS Cool sig)