>I am trying to install version 2.8.0 on a Windows XP SP2 machine.
>Unfortunately I can't update the machine to SP3 as it breaks the machine. I am
>trying to fix this but it is not easy. Does Gimp actually require SP3 or is it
>just the installer. If it is just the installer then is there any way to work
>around this?

I seems just the installer. You can unpack the installation with 'universal
extractor' but this gives all the files for both 32 & 64 bit version to sort

An easier way is to use a 'portable' version. There is a 2.8.0 at
portableapps.com and a 2.8.1 32 bit at the partha site (dark theme but if you
find a regular theme elsewhere you can change this).

Both of these install with the caveat that I did not give them much of a trial,
but they do open and the basics work. This is in a WinXp SP2 virtual machine.

If you ignore the 'portable' launcher(s) and go straight for gimp-2.8.exe in
the ...\bin... folder it  makes a regular C:\Documents and
Settings\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 home folder structure on first run.

Up to you to make a shortcut/menu entry.

rich (via gimpusers.com)