Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 19:27:05 +0200
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] File format question
From: psiwea...@gmail.com
To: strata_ran...@hotmail.com

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Richard Gitschlag <strata_ran...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

So you know, there are several hundred emails on the mailing list
discussing the whole save/export change
Guessed as much, but thanks for the facts.

...And most of them, rather predictably, are the complaints.  We have no firm
statistics on how many peope like it vs. how many don't, but we can definitely
say that those who do like it are less likely to discuss it on the mailing list.

As
mentioned in the link (which, hopefully you read, given your tone of
voice it's hard to be sure),
Yes, yes I did read.

Good, because when you're tossing around words and phrases like "crap",
"elitist", and "ass backwards", no matter what your intention we do view it
like (to phrase it bluntly) trolling.  Tone of voice is probably the most
difficult thing to communicate properly in text form -- choice of words,
punctuation/timing between sentences, that's all we have to go on and the words
you chose to use are totally full of unwanted negative baggage.

the problem is that a lot of people lost
actual time and work on their compositions by saving to a standard file
format and then quitting GIMP before saving back to their XCF workfile.
 A related phenomena is that by saving to a standard file format and
quitting, when GIMP asks to save changes and the user selects "yes" it
saves changes to the (most recently used) non-XCF file instead of the
XCK workfile, then it quits like you told it to.

Seriously, that's user error.

You're damn straight that it is.  But the ramifications were serious enough,
and it happened frequently enough, that the developers ruled it was worth a
paradigm-level design change.  That decision was essentially made 4 or so years
ago, before either you or I joined the mailing list.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com