On 09/17/12 21:44, Richard Gitschlag wrote:
> That's right - parentheses are not "free" in Scheme scripting, every opening
> parenthesis must be immediately followed by a function call.  When you just
> want parentheses to group a few statements together with, call the (begin ...
> ) function:
>
> (begin (function a) (function b) (etc ) ... )

Thanks, both of you for clarifications.
Not sure where I saw the "print" but it seems to work:

> (define (find-dot txt txtLen offset) (print "foo") "xyz" "pqr") (find-dot
> "abcd.ef" 7 1)
find-dot"foo"
"pqr"
> (define (find-dot txt txtLen offset) (display "foo") "xyz" "pqr") (find-dot
> "abcd.ef" 7 1)
find-dotfoo"pqr"

The function itself seems to be accepted.
It appears the difference between using "display" and using "print"
is that "print" outputs enclosing double quotes plus trailing newline;
"display" outputs the unadorned string and no trailing newline.