I wonder, is there any way to automate those steps ....

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com
--------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:19:39 +0000
From: barr...@nspipes.co.uk
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Resolution

    Hi Leon,

      1. If you select Image > Scale Image, The Scale image box
      opens.

      2, Change the Image Size units to something convenient.

      3. Note the width.

      4. Change the resolution to what you require.

      5. Change the width back to the original size, the height will
      follow.

      6. Select Scale Image

      The size of the image will remain the same in cm but its size in
      pixels will change.  I often do this to publish scans on the
      internet.

      I regularly scan stuff at 300 dpi and preserve this as a record,
      but I will generally reduce the resolution to 100dpi fore web
      publishing to save on bandwidth.

      Barry