On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 03:03:38PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> >I photographed the aurora while living in Alaska in RAW format which
> >produces a CR2 extension. Why will GIMP not open these photos?
> You need either the dcraw or ufraw plug-in for GIMP. I prefer the
> dcraw plug-in. The ufraw plug-in has too many options about what
> should be done to the image when it is loaded. I don't know what I
> might want/need to do to the image until after I load it and look at
> it.

So, the downside of this approach is that the decisions you make *during*
RAW conversion are generally lossless operations; you can go back and do
them differently with no destruction of data. If you start from a file
converted in a certain way, you've already lost a lot of flexibility.

Matthew Miller           mat...@mattdm.org          <http://mattdm.org/>