On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 10:13 -0800, Richard Gitschlag wrote:
> ...or what is wrong with my GIMP?  This behavior persists in every 2.6
> and 2.8 build I've tried, in fact I'm pretty sure I first discovered
> it somewhere in 2.4 .

I don't know where you get your "results should be like this"... you are
not "increasing the magenta channel by 30%", you are mapping all pixels
whose colour value in RGB space is within 30 degrees of magenta to a
completely different hue, to a different location in HSV space, so it's
no wonder you get weird results.

The effect you show happens with all the colour "channels".

I think you are wanting to increase saturation.

Or am I missing something?