On 05/04/2013 10:06 PM, Tom Williams wrote:
On 05/04/2013 01:04 PM, Ofnuts wrote:
On 05/04/2013 03:54 PM, Richard Gitschlag wrote:

You can also achieve the same result using paint tools.

1 - Eyedrop the background color.
2 - Switch to the Paintbrush and the "color erase" blending mode. Color erase is also a color-to-alpha transition.
3 - Start painting the background.

Hmm... this begs the question: what is the difference between "Colors/Color-to-alpha" and the bucket-fill tool in color-erase mode?

I believe "Colors/Color-to-alpha" will remove the color from the entire image, not just from a selection.

Nope, C2A applies to the selection only... (hence the method expounded by Tobias Lunte above, which I use and evangelize a lot)